Saturday 8 January 2011

Tradition.

I'm not a huge friend of 'tradition'. I really am not. Doing things just for the sake of it sounds cowardly and unimaginative. 'We always have done it like this....' Don't get me wrong, I kind of like the sense of history, but NOT when it starts to screw things up. I saw some of it in Oxford. That monolith of an institution that I loved with all my heart. I could, however, see that it was cold, humourless and unstopping. Move out of the way or perish, we've been doing it like this for a thousand years.....
Two days ago I was asked to participate in a ceremony as old as Christianity. T is pregnant, and they want me to be the Godfather. I couldn't be prouder and am as happy for them as anyone could possibly be.
So....
Traditions.... I guess there's a place for them. It binds us to the past, but I don't think it should blind us from the future. Whoever he/she will be, will be loved, cherished, cared for,,,, And it will discuss with me the finer points of Faster Than Light Interdimentional transitions before the age of ten. Just you watch!

0 comments: